TAP2 - Illinois Concealed Carry Course
This is an intense, 17 hour basic personal protection course. This course provides the students with hands-on training to ensure he or she becomes competent with efficiently handling the firearm in a safe and effective manner. The course will also cover the “rules of engagement” for the armed law-abiding private citizens.
Teaching points include:
- Gun handling and range safety
- Equipment selection and carry
- Avoidance & disengagement techniques
- Levels of force
- Sight alignment and trigger control
- Drawing from a holster
- Legal aspects of shooting in self-defense
- Cover & concealment
- Human thought process
- Shot placement – speed & accuracy
- Flashlight techniques
- Life choices
- Proper maintenance
- Safe storage
Upon satisfactorily completing the class, the student will receive an "Illinois State Police Concealed Carry Firearms Training Certificate", an NRA Basic Pistol Certificate, and a Double Tap Academy "Certificate of Handgun Training" required by the State of Florida and Arizona as part of your application for your handgun carry permit.
Prerequisites: Familiarity with a defensive handgun. This course is perfect for newer shooters as well as advanced shooters.
Course includes: Certificate, workbook, classroom time, range time, and testing.
Course equipment list - to be provided by the student:
- Quality defensive pistol– suitable for self-defense and/or concealed carry. You will be firing approximately 300 rounds of ammunition during this class, so small framed or ultra-lightweight firearms are not a good choice for this class. If you have any questions, please contact us before the course. It is also a good idea to bring a spare gun, if you have one, in case your primary gun breaks.
- A quality retention style holster – You need a strong-side, belt or inside the waistband holster. For safety reasons, cross draw holsters, fanny packs, shoulder holsters, and generic-fitted nylon holsters are not good for this course. For safety reasons, Serpa-style holsters are highly discouraged. Again, if you have questions, please contact us.
- A minimum of 3 magazines or speed loaders for your handgun.
- A magazine pouch/ holder for at least 2 of your spare magazines or speed loaders.
- A sturdy belt, to support the holster, handgun, magazine pouch, and spare magazines.
- Hearing and ear protection.
- Billed cap or other brimmed headwear.
- Minimum of 150 rounds of decent quality, reliable ammunition. Range ammunition (FMJ, etc.) is fine.
- Jacket or vest to be used for drawing from concealment
- Clothing suitable for the weather and the range. If necessary, we will finish our range work in whatever conditions exist at class time, live-fire exercises will run rain or shine.
- Note taking materials. You will need to take LOTS of notes. We will explain why during class. If you wish to use a laptop computer, that is OK. No audio/video recording is allowed.
- A flashlight. Although no night shooting occurs, we will practice using a flashlight.
- Food for meals each day.
Please note: the above list is just the essentials. You may bring additional items (such as range bags, extra magazines, additional ammunition, etc.), if you choose.